New Foundation Skills Assessment
The Foundation Skills Assessment (FSA) is an annual assessment of students’ reading, writing, and numeracy skills at Grades 4 and 7.
The purpose of FSA is to:
- Provide system level information on student performance.
- Support decision making (interventions, planning, resource allocation, curriculum, policy, research).
- Support districts and schools with information on student performance.
FSA is meant to complement the information teachers collect on student performance through ongoing methods of assessment.
Over the last year, Ministry staff and teachers from across the province have been working to improve the FSA.
- FSA will still be administered in Grades 4 and 7, but will now be done earlier in the school year (October/November instead of January/February.).
- The new FSA will include engaging and interactive test questions.
- The FSA will include student collaboration, student choice of topics, and student self-reflection.
- Student results will be reported on proficiency levels, and will include more descriptive student level reporting.
The new FSA has four components giving students multiple ways to reflect on their thinking and communicate their understanding.
What's Next: Field-Testing of the New FSA
The new assessment will be field-tested in the fall of 2016 and full implementation will take place in the fall of 2017.
All schools that have students enrolled in Grade 4 or Grade 7 are invited to participate in the online component of the new FSA field tests. The field tests will provide an opportunity for students and teachers to see what parts of the new FSA will look like with reading (English and French) and numeracy units available.
These units consist of several reading passages and questions or a set of numeracy questions, and will take approximately 30 minutes to complete.
- The units are available from October 26, 2016 – November 25, 2016
- Passwords for these units were sent to principals in October 2016
- Sample questions that show how parts of the new FSA will function will be available to view in November 2016.
- A full sample of all the components of the new FSA will be posted on the website in the Spring of 2017.
- While the new FSA is in the field test phase, the existing FSA will be administered from January 9 to February 17, 2017.