B.C.’s K-12 Assessment System
Assessment and curriculum are interconnected. Curriculum sets the learning standards that give focus to classroom instruction and assessment. Assessment involves the wide variety of methods or tools that educators use to identify student learning needs, measure competency acquisition, and evaluate students’ progress toward meeting provincial learning standards.
B.C.’s assessment system is being redesigned to align with the new curriculum. Assessment of all forms will support a more flexible, personalized approach to learning and measure deeper, complex thinking. B.C.’s educational assessment system strives to support student learning by providing timely, meaningful information on student learning through multiple forms of assessment. The assessment system has three programs:
The Ministry recognizes that the three assessment programs play a key role in B.C.’s educational context. These three programs work together to measure student learning and understanding of subject areas throughout their education experience.
- Educator Update: Classroom Assessment (PDF) (Mar. 2017)
- Grades 10-12 Educator Update (PDF) (Jan. 2017)
- Graduation Assessments: Design Framework and Assessment Structure (PDF) (Jan. 2017)
- Capstone Project (PDF) (Oct. 2016)
- Advisory Group on Provincial Assessment Final Report (PDF) (Sept. 2015)
- Advisory Group on Provincial Assessment Report I (PDF) (June 2014)
- Enabling Innovation: Transforming Curriculum and Assessment (PDF) (Aug. 2012)